According to the Expat Insider 2021 report published by InterNations in May 2021, Vietnam ranks 10th among the best places in the world for expats to live in 2021. This is a survey conducted by InterNations based on data collected from more than 12,000 respondents in 59 countries and territories. It is considered one of the most extensive surveys in the world on the lifestyle of expats. Thus, Vietnam is not only an investment destination but also an ideal choice for long-term settlement for foreign citizens.
This article explains some common methods for foreigners to enter Vietnam for various purposes such as investing, working and visiting relatives.
Based on the amount of investment in projects/companies in Vietnam, foreigners (investors) will be granted visas ranging from DT1 to DT4, as follows:
|ĐT1||Issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with capital contribution value from VND 100 billion, and to those investing in industries and trades eligible for investment incentives or geographical areas with investment incentives decided by the Government.||Not more than 05 years|
|ĐT2||Issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with a capital starting from VND 50 billion and under VND 100 billion or to those investing in industries and professions that encourage ‘development investment’ decided by the Government.||Not more than 05 years|
|ĐT3||Issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with a contributed capital between VND 3 billion and VND 50 billion.||No more than 3 years|
|ĐT4||Issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with a contributed capital of less than VND 03 billion||No more than 12 months|
- Temporary residence card
Besides visa, investors can also be granted a temporary residence card. Temporary residence cards can be of different types ranging from DT1 to DT3. Each type of temporary residence card has its own corresponding conditions. The duration of a temporary residence card is longer than the a visa, as follows:
- DT1 has a term of not more than 10 years.
- DT2 has a term of not more than 5 years.
- DT3 has a term of no more than 03 years.
- Investments below 3 billion VND (DT4) will not be granted a temporary residence card.
- To be granted a visa/temporary residence card, foreigners are required to have documents proving their investment in Vietnam according to the provisions of the Investment Law.
To obtain a visa/temporary residence card for work, a foreigner needs to have a guarantor company where the foreigner works. Therefore, before being granted a temporary residence card, a foreigner must obtain a work permit or work permit exemption confirmation.
Visas/temporary residence cards are subject to the following terms and conditions:
|LĐ1||Issued to foreigners working in Vietnam with confirmation that they are currently not eligible for a work permit||No more than 2 years|
|LĐ2||Issued to foreigners working in Vietnam who are required to have a work permit|
Foreigners who are investors or employees with temporary residence cards may sponsor their guest(s), father, mother, wife, husband and children to visit Vietnam. The foreigner may sponsor their spouse and children under 18 years of age to stay with them during the temporary residence card period if he/she also gets approval from the inviting or sponsoring agency or organization.
Temporary residence cards and visas with TT symbol are issued to foreigners who are spouses or children under 18 years of age of foreigners who are granted visas/temporary residence cards with symbols DT1, DT2, DT3, LD1, LD2. They are also issued to people who are fathers, mothers, wives, husbands and children of Vietnamese citizens.
- To be granted a visa/temporary residence card in this case, the foreigner needs to have documents proving his/her personal relationship with the guarantor. These documents must be consular legalized and translated according to the regulations.
- Investors with DT4 visas are not allowed to sponsor their grandparents, parents, wives, husbands, or children to enter Vietnam.
Rights and obligations of foreigners while residing in Vietnam
Foreigners have their lives, honor, property and legitimate rights and interests protected under Vietnamese law during their stay in the territory of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
- Foreigners with temporary residence cards can sponsor their grandfathers, grandmothers, fathers, mothers, wives, husbands, and children to visit Vietnam. Such foreigners can also sponsor a spouse and children under 18 years of age to stay with him/her during the temporary residence card period, provided that such sponsorship is agreed by his/her inviting or sponsoring agency or organization.
- Foreigners with permanent residence cards may sponsor their grandparents, fathers, mothers, wives, husbands and children to visit Vietnam.
- Foreigners lawfully residing in Vietnam may travel within the Vietnamese territory for tourism, visiting relatives, and receiving medical treatment without any additional permission. For entering prohibited areas or restricted areas for travel and residence, comply with the related provisions of law.
- Activities in Vietnam must be suitable for entry purposes.
- When traveling, you must bring your passport or international travel document, and documents related to your residence in Vietnam and must present them when the competent authority requests to do so.
Thus, to temporarily reside in Vietnam, foreigners must prove their entry purpose, and provide their documents and certifications according to regulations.
Writing period: 13/07/2021
The article is based on applicable law at the time noted above and may no longer be relevant at the time the reader approaches this article due to the change in applicable law and the specific case in which the reader wishes to apply. Therefore, the article has only reference values.